Homemade Happiness

February 24, 2018

In my most recent blog post, I revealed that my husband and I finally bought a house.  To say that we have been busy making our house a home over the last two months is an understatement.  We fully dove in after we bought our house to create some "homemade happiness".  When we bought the house, we knew that there were a lot of things that we needed to update and (with the help from my parents, especially my dad) we would be able to handle lots of DIY projects.  We painted EVERYTHING in the house, well except for the ceilings and floors.  Besides the ceilings and floors, we painted all of the walls, trim, and cabinets.  This may not sound like much, but all of the painting took about a week to complete.  Many of the walls were a pale yellowish-tan, which is just not our style.  We wanted to update the walls to a light gray color.  We painted all of our walls "repose gray" from the Sherwin Williams collection.      


The wall color prior to painting.
We also had the floors redone, which wasn't the best experience for us.  I really wanted to redo the floors myself, but I hadn't ever tackled a project that big before and thought maybe we should trust the "experts".  Needless to say, they weren't experts at all and we weren't happy with our experience.  I won't share all of my complaints with you here, but we did learn that if we ever redo flooring again, we will do a lot of things differently.  



Now that I'm done complaining, let's move on the the biggest project that we had to tackle--THE KITCHEN.  We knew when we bought the house that we wanted to redo the flooring, paint the cabinets, replace some of the knobs, install new countertops, and add backsplash.  My husband didn't really care what we did.  He knew I had a vision and he trusted that.  

Here are some images of the kitchen before:  




We painted all of the cabinets white, reused the knobs for all of the doors, and bought new knobs for the drawers.  



We installed new countertops and added subway style backsplash with gray grout.  My dad and I hadn't ever installed backsplash before, but I think it turned out well for not knowing what we were doing.  Years of watching HGTV is finally paying off.  Thanks Chip and Joanna!  😂


Trying to figure out how to lay the backsplash.  




Our projects in the kitchen didn't stop there, we also bought a new faucet and a new stove.  Plus, my mom spent HOURS scrubbing grease off of everything.  The kitchen was gross once you took a closer look.   I think my dad's favorite part was replacing the knobs on the drawers (please sense my sarcasm).  He drilled a couple of holes that we had to repair and he became a little frustrated.  You would never know that we had any issues with them if you looked at them in person.  

The kitchen when it was almost finished.  





We feel like the kitchen is finally complete and we have truly created some "homemade happiness"!  We still have some more projects to tackle and I hope to blog about them soon.   We feel so grateful and blessed to be able to call our house a home!  I hope that we can inspire you to tackle your own DIY project!

Forever Yung,
Kyra

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Instagram