Simple Chicken Fajitas

August 05, 2017

I LOVE Mexican food, but let's be honest, Mexican food isn't always the healthiest.  A little over a year ago, I embarked on the Whole30 journey and ever since then, I've tried to find new ways to create the foods I love while keeping Whole30 compliance in mind.  One of my favorite dishes to eat at a Mexican restaurant is chicken fajitas, and I wanted to try to make those from home.  Today I'm going to share with you how I made my Simple Chicken Fajitas--and let me add "delicious".


Let me start off by saying that I like to keep cooked chicken breasts in the freezer so that I can whip up a meal quickly.  (You do not have to do this, but it certainly makes the process for my Simple Chicken Fajitas easier.)  Although, my favorite way to make this recipe is to have leftover cooked chicken breasts in the refrigerator.  This makes it easy to slice the chicken without having to wait for the chicken to thaw or cool.

Ingredients
*Let me just add that I don't like to measure ingredients, so I've tried to create measurements for you.

2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked
1 onion
1 green pepper
1 orange pepper
1 medium or large tomato (depending on how much you like tomatoes)
1 pinch of red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup olive oil

Directions
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.  If your chicken breasts aren't precooked, cook your chicken breasts and allow them time to cool.
3.  Cut up the onion, green pepper, orange pepper, and tomato into 1 inch slices.  Place in a medium size mixing bowl.



4.  When the chicken is cool, cut the chicken into 1-2 inch slices and add to the mixing bowl.

5.  Add the red pepper flakes, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and olive oil to the mixing bowl.

6.  Stir all of the ingredients together.  If the mixture seems a bit dry, just add a bit more olive oil.

7.  Line a cookie sheet with foil and dump the chicken fajita mixture onto the foil lined cookie sheet.  Spread the chicken fajita mixture evenly on the sheet.

8.  Place the cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, but do not overcook--your chicken will dry out.  Remove the sheet from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.

9.  Scoop some of the chicken fajita mixture onto a plate and serve with guacamole.  (I will share my guacamole recipe at a later date.)

If you're like my husband and you aren't trying to be Whole30 compliant, you can top with all of your favorite fajita toppings.  

10.  Enjoy and pretend like you're in a Mexican restaurant.*
(*Sombreros and margaritas optional)

I hope you love my Simple Chicken Fajitas as much as I do.

Forever Yung,
Kyra
SaveSave

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Instagram